Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, always has been. Upon waking, I take Reishi (my bichon!) out for a walk and then when we get back, I make his breakfast and then mine. All of this happens within a span of just 30 minutes!
This oatmeal recipe will change the way you go about preparing breakfast. You can make it weekly and the variations of different nuts, fruits, spices, etc. you can add in is endless.
You’ll want to presoak your grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes prior to cooking to release enzyme inhibitors and anti-nutrients. Removing phytates enables the body to assimilate minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc.
- 1 cup rolled or steel-cut oats
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice (Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider, cultured buttermilk or yogurt)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 TBS coconut oil, coconut manna, butter or ghee from grass fed cows
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, cherries, raisins, currants, or a mixture
- ¼ cup of flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger or grated fresh ginger
- 1 whole clove
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup organic milk or non-dairy milk or yogurt (optional)
- Chopped nuts or seeds or fresh fruit
- Place the oats in a pan or bowl with water to cover and the lemon juice. Soak overnight.
- Drain through a fine-mesh sieve and rinse well under cold water.
- In a 4-quart pot, combine the oats, 2 cups water, and the salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the healthy fat, dried fruit, coconut, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and clove and cover.
- Decrease the heat to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The oatmeal will become very creamy as the water evaporates.
- Add the maple syrup and milk and stir. For less moist oatmeal, leave the lid off for the last 3 to 4 minutes of cooking.
- Serve in a colorful bowl; garnish with nuts or seeds or fresh fruit.